July 06, 2012

somethin' stupid.



June was a rather great month and I'm sorry to see it go.


July didn't start off too bad; I bought this red cape from the Brisbane Suitcase Rummage, and I love it.  I wore it on the way home and it was delicious. 


I also won a copy of Jane Webster's French Ties, which was absolutely thrilling, since I'd been eyeing the book up in Collins' but was unwilling to pay the $59 they wanted for it.  It is a beautiful book, though I was a little hum-ho about the way that Ms. Webster writes about her French home.  It is a beautiful château, and Lord knows I would be an arrogant wanker if I ever owned one (Lord knows I would be an arrogant wanker if I ever lived in France full stop), but reading about it is different from living it, and it makes me hum, especially since was meant to be a recipe book, but there you have it.  I still love it, and I'm so pleased I won it.






I went ice-skating, too, the same weekend of the rummage. That was fun, even though most of the time (all of the time) I kept carefully to the wall. And then fell on my big butt, but there you have it, I wouldn't have changed it.  I wish we had the weather to enjoy ice-skating here every winter.

Since the last suitcase market I did, I've been really wanting to do another public gig; there was a "I Made It" Market at a local school (thing), but they were long out of spaces before I'd even heard of it, and what a pity! The smallness is a comfort, I think, but at any rate, I bit the bullet and applied for a space in the suitcase rummage down in Brisbane.

They've been doing these things regularly, and even though it was like, $25 a spot, I wanted to do it.  Though when I went last Sunday to scope it, I felt a bit nervous - most of the crowd (both sellers and shoppers) are trendy, into fashion and cheap vintage clothes.  I do not want to be that odd one out who sits there, bored out of her mind, but at the same time I really want to give it a try.  Since the crowd is generally younger (or would that be older?) than my target audience, I'm thinking I might take alone some of my older girls for sale; do something pretty, whimsical, and just see how that goes.  I have a friend that wants me to paint vampires which I never did because I'm not sure how you can reconcile vampires with nursery art, but I might for this suitcase sale.  Or at least one picture where someone's kissing, I love pictures where people kiss, maybe someone else will love it too.

I'm thinking, take maybe two copies of each print; one large, one small. I'm not sure, I don't want to overestimate, but at the same time, who knows what could happen? I know what my most popular pictures are... we'll see.

The other thing is, I sort of didn't want to do this one only because it's the day after someone very special to me's birthday, and it seems like a drag to have him come along and spend an afternoon in the city, sitting by a suitcase where the poor bloke can't smoke, or swear, or... do anything, hahaha!  But he is sweet, and says he's happy too, so while I'm still a little unhappy about making him do that on his birthday weekend, maybe we can do something to make up for it?  He's a 4x4ing kind of guy, so hopefully we can do that on the Saturday, and on Sunday I'll just pack him a nice lunch of iced tea, sandwiches and chocolate biscuits. :P  Maybe get him a colouring book too, hahahahahahaha. (Get me one as well, by the looks of it. I don't want to sit there with a nasty bored look on my face like I've seen on some vendors!)

It's in August, but I've been working on some new art already. I also need to get some packaging supplies and my bloody I.D., which I have retardedly LOST.  I have about 12 prints already; I'm working on another two now, and want a least two more kid-themed ones.  I have a sketch for a more grown-up one, and hopefully I can crank out that kissing one I want before the end of the month.

There is another project I'm working on, which is making me worry... if I finish it it'll be one hell of an accomplishment for myself, but if not... well.

Lately I've been really slack. I've stopped working out, first because I was away from my machine, then because I got sick, and now it's just... there's no excuse. I've been eating well-ish, but without that sweat on the machine it's useless.  I can't remember my motivation for getting on it in the first place any more. Being fat is not enough, it's gotten too comfortable again.

The flat-screen is broken, too, which is so frustrating. 52" inches, gone. The screen inside is like a spiderweb. It is such a first-world problem, but we'd be scratching to buy a 42" inch, and since dad's retired the TV has been his best friend. I'm wondering if we can get it fixed; I hope we can get it fixed. It was such a beautiful TV.

Blah, July. Prove to me that you're not just gonna kick my ass.

2 comments:

  1. That looks like a great book. And whoa, that cape is fabulous!
    Paint from your heart! Vampires would be good bedroom art for the big kids (y'know 10yr olds and 20yr olds and 30yr olds are all big kids. heheh)
    I am choosing my prints right now so I will Facebook you or something soon. If you perhaps drop by the market on Saturday if you are free, perhaps we can swap cash for art?. :)

    ReplyDelete